The healthcare industry in New Zealand has been facing a shortage of health workers for some time now. With the COVID-19 pandemic, this shortage has become even more acute. This has created a significant challenge for healthcare employers who are struggling to find enough qualified staff to meet the growing demand for healthcare services.
Attracting and retaining skilled health workers is a priority for healthcare employers in New Zealand. To help with this shortage, there are several strategies that employers can consider:
- Expand training opportunities: Employers can work with training institutions to increase the number of training places available for healthcare workers. This could involve providing funding for training courses or providing support for trainees in the form of internships or work experience.
- Improve workplace conditions: Healthcare employers can improve working conditions to make their workplace more attractive to potential employees. This could include offering flexible working arrangements, providing competitive salaries and benefits packages, and creating a positive work culture.
- Support staff development: Employers can support the development of their existing staff by providing training and professional development opportunities. This will not only help to retain staff but will also ensure that they are up to date with the latest developments in healthcare.
- Embrace technology: Healthcare employers can embrace technology to help alleviate some of the pressure on their existing staff. For example, they can implement telehealth services or remote monitoring systems to help manage patients remotely. This will free up staff time and resources, making it easier to manage patient loads.
- Recruit overseas: Healthcare employers can recruit overseas to help fill the gaps in their workforce. This will require navigating complex immigration processes, but there are many skilled healthcare workers who are looking for opportunities to work in New Zealand.
By implementing these strategies, healthcare employers can help address the shortage of healthcare workers in New Zealand. This will not only help to ensure that patients receive the care they need, but it will also help to create a more sustainable and resilient healthcare system for the future.
If you are looking to recruit from overseas, please drop us a message here and we will have someone contact you.